Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Genetic Testing and a MRI

So I went to see the genetic counselor today. Since I have breast cancer so young they want to make sure its  not mutated genes. I am unsure about family history on my fathers' side so it is especially important that I get this. My husband discussed possibly looking for my father and my half siblings to fill some pieces to the whole heredity puzzle. I am unsure where to begin on that.

The MRI went okay. It was a tube that was open on both sides. A breast MRI is a little different than a regular MRI; most notably you lay on your stomach with your breasts hanging through a board into openings. Your breasts are slightly compressed. Also if your MRI is like mine, you will need contrast. The contrast for MRI's is different than for traditional xrays and or CT scans. It is safer, less of a chance of a negative reaction. The material injected is called gadolinium. The side effects per the tech could be a warming sensation in your abdomen and nausea. When I went in for my MRI I already had heart burn, once that stuff was injected I had the worst case of reflux in my life. It may be from the contrast or just the fact I was laying on my stomach for so long. The whole thing including putting the line in and waiting for my turn lasted about one hour. Per the tech I was only in the machine for 25 or so minutes.
Overall it was not a bad experience.

Now to wait for the results of both tests and to see what my next step is. I hope to hear the results of the MRI Thursday and it could take 2 weeks for the genetics results. I am hoping to have those results before my surgery because if I have a genetic issue I may need to make a very difficult decision.

For all those going through this process, l know it is difficult and scary. Things are happening so fast and you still do not know everything. Heck, I do not even know the stage of my cancer yet! But I just have to keep on hanging in there. If I can do this, so can you! We will make it, we will beat our cancers and we will survive. 

That is all for now,

I Fight Like a Woman!

No comments:

Post a Comment