Thursday, January 17, 2013

Chemo Blues

Hello Friends,

I am in the midst of the chemo blues. I realized that my next big infusion is next Wens. All I could think is already???? I am just starting to feel better! I began to get depressed. I went in yesterday for my Herceptin and was told that my platelets are low and that they need to come up a little for me to have my big infusion next week. You would think that I would be relieved at the possibility of not having the big infusion next week. Nope, I feel sad, and I am wishing, hoping, willing my platelets back up so that next weeks infusion can go off without a hitch. Sounds crazy huh? The way I look at it is, next infusion is my half way point. It will be infusion three out of six, which would mean I am half way to this portion of the nightmare being over! I just want to make it past this chemotherapy, it will be a small win. If it works that will be a big win! I am hoping that the Drs. will re measure the tumor next Wens to make sure this chemo is working.

I am in prep mode for the next big infusion, trying to take lessons learned from the previous two and apply them. I am sprucing up the chemo cave and trying to figure out which TV show I want to dig up on netflix to watch. Last time I watched all of season one of Once Upon a Time. It is an okay show. I figure if I find a good TV show to distract myself, my time in the chemo cave won't be so rough!

To share my lessons learned for those of you going through chemo or about to go through chemo I will share my list. I encourage all who are going through chemo to make a list before each infusion that way you have a battle plan.

1. Start using Biotene toothpaste and mouthwash the day before infusion to help keep your mouth from drying out too much.

2. Do not be shy about magic mouthwash. As soon as I feel a sore coming on I swish.

3. Have sour candy on hand to battle metal mouth. Sour Cherries are my favorite.

4. Need some soothing things for Nausea. I plan to go out and buy gingins candy this weekend, if I can find it. I also now have ginger tea on hand. I hear that ginger helps with nausea; so we will see if it works.

5. Cream soups, I need to make sure I have cream soups on hand. Last infusion they were the only thing I could stand to eat mixed with mashed potatoes. Also I am going to try to consume more vegetables. So I may throw some veggies into the mix.

6. I need to break down my eating into several small meals which will hopefully help with the nausea.

7. I need to stop trying to figure out how I felt on such and such a day last cycle. New cycle may be different, I refuse to torture myself trying to figure it out with chemo brain. I am just going to try to make it through and hopefully by day 11 or 12 I will be feeling better.

8. Request to come in for fluids a couple of days after my infusion. I have a hard time drinking after infusions so hopefully getting IV fluids will help me feel less crappy.

9. Start Attivan day one of cycle to help me sleep and to keep nausea at bay.

That is all for now.

-I Fight Like a Woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment