Wednesday, April 17, 2013

A Choice

Hi All,

I have not been blogging recently due to a crappy bought with bronchitis. Got another script for antibiotics to help fight off the remnants. I was moved to blog tonight because I am faced with yet another choice associated with Cancer.

When someone is diagnosed with Cancer they are thrust into a world of choices. Most of the choices really are not choices because it is do this or you can die. For instance, I could have turned down chemo but that would have meant that my Cancer would kill me. For the past few weeks my oncologist has been urging me to make a choice between Lumpectomy and Mastectomy. This is one of the hardest choices I have ever been faced with. Per the oncologist the survival rate is the same for Lumpectomy plus radiation and Mastectomy. But, do I want to put myself at a risk for a reccurance, even though the chance is low? Do I want to lose my breast or breasts? I am so afraid of making the wrong choice. Even if I do get rid of both breasts there is still a chance this cancer will come back in another part of my body.

I have an appointment with my surgeon tomorrow to discuss my choices. I have questions for him and the radiation oncologist, the answers will determine my choice. I just hope to make the right one.

That is all for now

-I Fight Like a Woman

No comments:

Post a Comment